Re: why ABIWORD?

On 30 Jun 2012, Joe wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 11:16:04 +0200
> Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello:
> > With my i386 wheezy, a today update/upgrade led to libreoffice (text)
> > not launching. I resorted to abiword, new in my experience. I found
> > abiword in great troubles with tables made by libreoffice odt.
> > Suddendly, abiword was able to destroy nearly completely the content
> > of the big table.
> >
> > Should my experience be representative, it would be better not to
> > propose text editors that are unable to do what they should.
> >

> I'm happy to keep both. I find Abiword able to display some Word
> documents which LibreOffice cannot, and vice versa. I'd have to be
> fairly desperate to actually create a Word document with either, or
> even edit one.

[snip]

I've published six e-books on Smashwords and this requirees submitting
them as Word.doc files. I did this successfully with
oowriter/libreoffice; I wouldn't say it was enjoyable but it was
possible. In fact, I've now published an e-book (Making Word.doc Files
in Linux) which explains how I managed it. Several of these books were
originally Lyx files and I converted these to rtf for Libreoffice.

AC

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
http://www.reviewbooks.org.uk