Re: new kernel breaks postgresql on postgresql upgrade

On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 11:05:29PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> I was fortunate in that I hadn't put any data into that database system
> yet.  The 40,000,000 value for shm is higher than the 34 million and

That 40000000 was just some arbitrary value I threw in, I don't know
what it should be.

> change value that postgresql was using before and that would explain why
> this failure happened.  However, it will be a good idea to fix the
> postgresql 9.1 packages so they increase that shm value for installs

I'm fairly sure that a package shouldn't go around changing system
values which is the responsibility of some other package.

> especially new installs from tasksel.  Otherwise those won't go smoothly.
> I had cleared all of postgresql from the machine using --purge with remove
> in aptitude and this error continued on a subsequent install attempt with
> tasksel.

Could you report a bug please, against the postgresql 9.1 package using reportbug?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X