Re: Reports of (Debian?) Linux kernel 2.6.32 livelocking when notified of leap second

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 21:52:21 +0000
Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone been seeing this sort of thing in the last 22-ish hours?
>
> http://serverfault.com/questions/403732/anyone-else-experiencing-high-rates-of-linux-server-crashes-today
>
> I've run adjtimex -p on all of my servers and they're all reporting
> status 17, which as far as I can tell means they've already been sent
> adjtimex()by ntpd and will add a leap second at midnight.
>
> As I understand the reports so far, the livelock would happen at the
> point where ntpd sends the adjtime(), soif they haven't locked
> already then they aren't going to.

I didn't find out about this until last night, when I shut down ntpd on
the two Squeeze machines I look after. Obviously that was far too late,
as both machines did the leap-second thing at midnight, and neither had
been affected by the problem.

I've since seen it described as the result of a race hazard, so it
would seem to be a matter of chance whether a particular machine had a
problem.

--
Joe