wpa_supplicant.conf - where?

The old Thinkpad finally having bit the dust, I got a cute new Asus
ZenBook that seems (from other reports) to work with linux.  Wiped
windows, replacing it with Debian/testing (wheezy).  Mostly it's working,
with the most glaring problem being wireless.

(iwlist wlan0 scanning) can find our router - showing all the address,
channel, frequency, ssid/name,...  but nothing seems to clue
wpa_supplicant to it.  So far my attempts at editing /etc/network/
interfaces has not helped.

The wpa_supplicant.conf man page has many items of interest, but lacks _where_ this file is supposed to be. Creating this file in /etc/
wpa_supplicant/ seems to have no effect.  Listing the package
(dpkg -L ...) shows a wpa_supplicant.conf, but it's in
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/, and looks to be in XML format.  The man page
says nothing about any XML file - where this is accurate or obsolete
is uncertain.

Issuing: "wpa_cli status" indicates that it's SCANNING, and list_networks shows the router. My son's Mac finds and logs into the wireless router with no problems. I'm probably missing something simple - if someone could point me to the docs or otherwise clue me into where wpa_...conf
should be, I'd appreciate it!

TIA-