Re: Screen unresponsive

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 01:32:17AM -0500, KS wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012, at 12:51 AM, KS wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The last few days I ahve noticed that when I return to my machine
> > (always ON), the screen doesn't respond. Keyboard (caps lock, num lock)
> > works. I can also ssh to the machine and have noticed that Xorg takes
> > 100% CPU. I couldn't find anything in the Xorg log or syslog files.
> >
> > Today however, the screen stopped responding after a beep while I was
> > using the machine. Below is what I found on sys log:
> >
> > Mar  5 00:32:28 gurh kernel: [17901.730462] NVRM: GPU at 0000:01:00.0
> > has fallen off the bus.

This doesn't sound particularly good. It would suggest to me that your
graphics card (the GPU) is no longer attached to the PCI bus. Probably
the best case scenario is that this is a physical problem: Open up your
computer, pull out the card and push it back in, making sure it's fully
seated.

If the problem persists, then it may be that the card is locking up
completely such that the PCI bus THINKS you've pulled it out. You may
find monitoring the output of "nvclock -T" useful.

--
Darac Marjal