Re: Readonly filesystem on boot

On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 10:44:35PM +0200, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Johann Spies wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > If that didn't yield anything then I would boot into single user mode
> > > and manually run each startup script up through mountall.sh and then
> > > debug running that script to see what the problem is.  I usually debug
> > > scripts by running them with 'sh -x scriptname' and looking at the
> > > trace output.
> >
> > Thanks.  I will try that.
>
> Johann and I exchanged some offlist email and I will report here to
> provide feedback for the mailing list archive that in the /etc/init.d
> script path Johann found problems local to his system.  This prevented
> the package postinst scripts from functioning correctly breaking
> package reinstalls.  Johann was able to correct them and was able to
> resolve the problem.  Yay!  Fixed.

Apologies from my side for not replying to the list. That was by
accident.

Here is what I wrote to Bob:

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 12:13:31PM +0200, Bob Proulx wrote:

> If that didn't yield anything then I would boot into single user mode
> and manually run each startup script up through mountall.sh and then
> debug running that script to see what the problem is.  I usually debug
> scripts by running them with 'sh -x scriptname' and looking at the
> trace output.

This tip of yours helped me to solve the problem.  There was a problem
with the package 'initscripts'. The version of 'checkfs.sh' was that of
an older package and was looking vor something in /lib/init/ that was
not there and was no longer part of a Debian package.

The funny thing was that 'debsum initscripts' did not complain and that
it did not list checkfs.sh.

Reinstalling initscripts failed for some reason.  I then removed
checkfs.sh manually and reinstalled initscripts again.  It failed again
complaining that checkfs.sh was not there.

In the end I used mc (midnight commander) to manually copy the files
from the package to their destinations. The next reinstall of
initscripts and reboot ran without any errors.

This made my day.

Thanks again.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies                            Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder /  Data manager

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

     "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence
      cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which
      made heaven and earth."
                           Psalms 121:1,2