Re: rsync

On Sunday 04 March 2012 15:30:13 Chris Bannister wrote:
> We still use the basic English words, (i.e. boot instead of trunk, Mum
> instead of Mom, etc. etc. etc) although that seems to be changing as
> more Americanisms creep into usage. For example, I now notice that first
> year University students are now referred to as "freshers" in some
> literature.

Sorry, Chris - I was reading this and I saw the wonderful irony!  You say that
in NZ you use the basic English words - but you refer to freshers as an
American import.

When I started at Cambridge in 1961 we had a freshers' fair to introduce us to
the available societies.  I have just Googled to see whether new students
still do, and they do.

So perhaps the term is being imported from England rather than America. ;-)

Lisi