Re: CUPS and Brother HL-5340D dual whammy (SOLVED!)

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 12:11:59 -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> * On 2012 02 Mar 12:00 -0600, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Ah! Yes, I remember... Could you finally discover the origin of the
>> bug?
>
> Yes, the "upgrade from 1.5.0 to 1.5.2!  ;-)

He.. sure, but that's too wide to be conclusive. The updated package
works for other printers, and also works with another PPD file so there's
something we still miss.

>> Are just the Brother PPD files that fail with the new CUPS package?
>
> No.  There is a report of a Kyoceria failing as well.

Mmm, I wonder if there's any bug report for this at the CUPS site:

http://www.cups.org/roadmap.php

Wow... only 1 bug opened for the 1.5.x series? :-O

One in two: or these people is really good and fast as hell in bug
solving or not all the bugs are displayed there.

>> > See bug # 660420 and 660348 (it's that bad that I know have them
>> > memorized).
>>
>> Yup, not a nice memory at all ;-(
>>
>> Anyway, a fix is more than desirable. Generic PS files can be a
>> workaround but not a long time solution.
>
> Agreed, but as I have not ever had to troubleshoot CUPS before, I was
> hoping the bug reports would lead to suggestions from the maintainers
> but none has been received so far.  Hopefully the reports are being
> read.

You can also consider contacting the manufacturer (Brother in your case),
AFAIK it used to be a linux-friendly partner. And true is that their
printers PPD files are quite old (2005).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón