Re: when an xterm starts, it always starts in ~/Documents

On 28/02/12 04:28, Sian Mountbatten wrote:
> On 26/02/12 21:30, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> Sian Mountbatten wrote:
>>> I'm running KDE on a siduction distribution. Konsole starts in
>>> $HOME. Xterms started from the KDE Launcher->System->Uxterm or Xterm
>>> start in ~/Documents.

I suspect you mean Konsole (which uses Xterm)

>>> There's nothing in the environment which
>>> mentions ~/Documents. I've been through all the KDE settings and
>>> there's no mention of it. It is definitely weird.
>>
>> Just a wild idea...  Anything in your ~/.bashrc file?  Or .profile or
>> .bash_profile?  Just in case one terminal is reading those files when
>> the other one is not.
>>
>> Bob
> Nothing in any of the files.

NOTE: as you *don't* run real Debian the following may not apply.

It's part of konsole's default profile (it probably inherits from System
Settings/User/Paths by default).

$ cat ~/.kde/share/config/konsolerc | grep DefaultProfile
look at the DefaultProfile

eg.:-
$ cat ~/.kde/share/config/konsolerc | grep DefaultProfile
DefaultProfile=Shell.profile
$ cat ~/.kde/share/apps/konsole/Shell.profile | grep Directory
Directory=

In the above example the default konsole profile (I use several)
 start directory is ~

My Documents path is also ~.
Default is ~/Documents.
(KMenu => System Settings => About Me => Paths)

Kind regards

--
"Oh sorry, I was taking life seriously."
— Bill Hicks