Why did UDEV renumber my ethernet interface again?

Dear Debianistas,

I'm aware of _what_ UDEV is doing, that is, renumbering my ethernet
ports to prevent conflicts. Yeah. There's only one, but it's getting
renumbered "eth3".

Trouble is, it wasn't renumbered yesterday. Just today. And a week ago.

About a week ago, UDEV decided to let eth0 remain eth0, which was
nice, but I had to change /etc/network/interfaces because it had
previously decided that eth0 should be eth3, and had been doing that
since I installed it two years ago.

Yes, I'm running Unstable, so it's the UDEV updates that are doing
this. That makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is _why_. There is only one ethernet interface
in this machine. Why is UDEV renumbering them _at_all_?

Curt-