Re: when an xterm starts, it always starts in ~/Documents

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 20:53:58 +0000, Sian Mountbatten wrote:

> On 26/02/12 17:30, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 01:59:16 +0000, Sian Mountbatten wrote:
>>
>>> Whenever I start an xterm, I notice that it starts in ~/Documents
>>> rather than in the home directory. Why is that? Where is it set?
>>>
>>> And can it be set to the HOME directory?
>>
>> Weird... are you running xterm inside GNOME or KDE session? Have you
>> tried with another console (gnome-terminal or konsole)? Does the same
>> happen when you go fall to init 1 from a tty and run xterm from there?
>>
>> It could be that some environmental variable is taking preference over
>> xterm settings but I'm running GNOME in up-to-date testing and this is
>> not happening here :-?
>>

> I'm running KDE on a siduction distribution. Konsole starts in $HOME.
> Xterms started from the KDE Launcher->System->Uxterm or Xterm start in
> ~/Documents. There's nothing in the environment which mentions
> ~/Documents. I've been through all the KDE settings and there's no
> mention of it. It is definitely weird.

Sure, it's not the usual behaviour.

Have you tried with falling into init 1 (no X server and so no KDE) and
issue "xterm" from there? If that works, you will have to investigate
your KDE settings and look for any configuration value that can be making
noise here as Hans-J. Ullrich suggested.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón