Re: New computer planned

On 2/21/2012 9:15 PM, Nick Lidakis wrote:

> What do you think about this article on SSD and errors?
> Link:http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9224322/SSDs_have_a_bleak_future_researchers_say

I'll tell you in 2024 at 6.5nm when we reach "the end".

In the mean time, anyone using a consumer MLC SSD needs to be far more
concerned about device failure due to mundane things like basic product
quality, rather than cells wearing out over time.  For instance...

My first foray into SSD was a Corsair V32.  After less than 4 months,
out of the blue one day, the machine locked up and upon reboot the BIOS
didn't see the SSD.  This was installed in a typical workstation--very
low write load.  The RMA replacement unit thus far has been flawless.
/me knocks on wood

My sister's 5 year old HP has a failing 250GB SATA SRD (spinning rust
disk).  I gave her some options and brief education, and she ordered an
Intel MLC SSD from Newegg.  Slightly more money than competitors but
Intel is fanatical about QC, and we shouldn't have to worry about the
thing dying for many years.  After being burned by the Corsair I
recommended she go top shelf.

--
Stan