Re: Simultaneous desktop environments (Gnome and xfce) in two X server sessions.

On 02/21/12 09:54, Tony Baldwin wrote:
On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 07:28:44AM -0600, hvw59601 wrote:
yudi v wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to get gnome (default in tty7) and xfce (in tty1) to run
at the sametime.
I got as far as launching another x server session and xfce4 with the
following command:

startx startxfce4 -- :1

There are couple of issues I am trying to resolve:

1. when I switch back to tty7 X server session in tty1 terminates. How
to fix this?

2. all the start-up applications under Gnome also start in xfce, how
can I completely separate the environments. I would like to keep them
as independent as possible.

I'm just curious, after looking at this thread (but haven't tried).
Could one not start a first X session in one tty,
then go to another (ctrol-alt-#) and login as another user and start a
different X session?
You know, gnu/linux being a multi-user OS and all.
Isn't that kind of how a terminal server works, sort of?
The OP didn't, I think, specify that he wants two X sessions with the
same user.

Yes. See my earlier post. That is exactly what I do. In each of the accounts on my box startx is aliased to one of the commands that I mentioned. This starts up a new X session on the specified vt. By specifying the vt in the startx command I know that my session is always on vt7, my wife's is always vt8, and my daughter's is always on vt9. A quick ctl-alt-F7|F8|F9 gets whichever one of us is at the computer to our session, leaving the others intact with all programs running, browser tabs open, etc.

Marc