Re: [Feedback needed] Setting the right size for /tmp

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 19:44:46 +0000,
Dom <toyer@rpdom.net> wrote:

> On 28/11/11 18:07, Camaleón wrote:
>> Hello,

>> I'm running an updated wheezy and today faced with this little
>> problematic.

>> While running Midnight Commander to open (on-the-fly decompression
>> for browsing the archive) the kernel source package (a ~75 MiB
>> .tar.bz2 file) I got this error:

>> http://picpaste.com/mc-error-YXdyRawO.gif

>> My Atom based netbook is not a powerful system but has 2 GiB of ram
>> and 250 hard disk so, what was happening?

>> "df -H" told me:

>> S.ficheros Tamaño Usado Disp Uso% Montado en /dev/sda2 247G 7,7G 239G
>> 4% / tmpfs 5,3M 4,1k 5,3M 1% /lib/init/rw tmpfs 212M 664k 211M 1%
>> /run tmpfs 5,3M 0 5,3M 0% /run/lock tmpfs 423M 423M 0 100% /tmp <---
>> here!  udev 1,1G 0 1,1G 0% /dev tmpfs 423M 238k 423M 1% /run/shm

>> Okay, so /tmp is full. Fine. I know how to solve it but I can foresee
>> more situations like this in the future so some questions arise. As
>> the current tmpfs default settings for /tmp seem a bit "unrealistic"
>> (just % 20 of the RAM?) for even doing common tasks:

>> 1/ How many room should be set for a "/tmp" partition? I never had it
>> one so I can't make any good estimation.

>> 2/ Would be better to simply disable tmpfs for "/tmp"? This is how
>> I've been doing all these years.

>> Any comments are welcome :-)

> I don't use tmpfs for /tmp for a couple of reasons.

> Firstly, some of my PCs don't have much RAM (as low as 32MB), so it's
> just not practical, and on the others I sometimes store up to 4.7GB of
> files to put on DVDs.

> I know that I could create tmpfs filesystems bigger than that and they
> would use swap when physical RAM is exceeded, but that would slow the
> systems down to an almost unusable level.

> I'd rather either not have /tmp as a separate file system, or allocate
> at least 10GB to it. Disk is still cheaper than RAM, although slower.

I just discovered to my horror /tmp is handled by a tmpfs system that
allocates by default a percentage of RAM that happens to be too small
for my use of /tmp.  What is the Debianish way to avoid using this
system for /tmp so that it uses whatever is available on /?

Thanks,

--
Seb