Re: Simultaneous desktop environments (Gnome and xfce) in two X server sessions.

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 07:28:44AM -0600, hvw59601 wrote:
> yudi v wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I am trying to get gnome (default in tty7) and xfce (in tty1) to run
> >at the sametime.
> >I got as far as launching another x server session and xfce4 with the
> >following command:
> >
> >startx startxfce4 -- :1
> >
> >There are couple of issues I am trying to resolve:
> >
> >1. when I switch back to tty7 X server session in tty1 terminates. How
> >to fix this?
> >
> >2. all the start-up applications under Gnome also start in xfce, how
> >can I completely separate the environments. I would like to keep them
> >as independent as possible.

I'm just curious, after looking at this thread (but haven't tried).
Could one not start a first X session in one tty,
then go to another (ctrol-alt-#) and login as another user and start a
different X session?
You know, gnu/linux being a multi-user OS and all.
Isn't that kind of how a terminal server works, sort of?
The OP didn't, I think, specify that he wants two X sessions with the
same user.

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me