Re: Re: Setting the compose key without KDE

> Indeed it does, and I asked for the Left-Logo key. In
> the file /etc/default/keyboard I notice that the environment
>
> string XKBOPTIONS is set to
> "lv3:ralt_switch,compose:lwin,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp" so obviously
> the configuration has done something. But what programs read that
> file? I tried pressing the left windows key, holding it down and
> pressing ^ and then c, but I still don't get the accented
> character. So what am I doing wrong?

Hi Sian,

Holding down the compose key is what you're doing wrong. Just press
and release it before typing your compose sequence.

It's also worth noting that the compose sequences in Debian work only
one order, i.e. "Compose ^ c" works but "Compose c ^" doesn't (unlike
at least some versions of Unix which work in either order).

--
Cheers,
Clive