Re: VNC into a Debian Machine

On 01/02/12 06:16, James Allsopp wrote:
> Hello,
> I really want to be able to use VNC to be able to view the full Gnome
> desktop on my laptop. I've been able to view a grey screen and a
> terminal, using vnc4server and tigervnc or vinagre, but what I'd like to
> be able to do is just view a whole screen as if I was actually there.

I'd of thought you'd be able to have full colour, full screen remote
sessions using those packages... odd.

Perhaps you're not allowing for the differences in resolution and colour
depth.

> I'd like avoid xdmcp if possible, as it would be great to use it from
> anywhere, rather than just locally,

xdmcp requires UDP, otherwise it's not restricted to local networks.
Don't overlook ssh -X.

> Any suggestions, pointers to good tutorials welcome!
> Thanks
> James

Have you tried tightvncserver?

The proprietary nomachine is also quite good, and good with low
bandwidth connections.

Cheers

NOTE: new update available for Debian Buttons
(New button for querying Debian Developer Package):-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/debian-buttons/