Re: Software-upgrades not installable due to APT-misconfiguration ?

On 01/02/12 01:30, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Ma, 31 ian 12, 20:54:48, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>>
>>> root@osrdii:/home/andreas# cat /etc/apt/preferences Package: * Pin:
>>> release a=squeeze-backports Pin-Priority: 200
>>>
>>> Package: * Pin: release o=Debian,a=stable,n=squeeze,l=Debian
>>> Pin-Priority: 700
>>>
>>> Package: * Pin: release v=6.0,o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,
>>> a=stable,n=squeeze, l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages Pin-Priority:
>>> 200
>>
>> I'd probably put squeeze-backports higher than squeeze (stable), or at
>> least equal. Maybe see what Andrei suggests.
>
> Mmm, depends on what your goal is, but as far as I know backports is not
> suitable to be used like that.
>
> In fact, the latest recommendation[1] is to not pin at all, since
> backports has priority 100 by default, which is enough to have
> backported packages upgraded (in case of bugs), but otherwise the system
> stays stable[2]
>
> [1] http://backports-master.debian.org/Instructions/
> [2] ... as in the stable release/version/distribution, not "not
> crashing" stable ;)
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
Thanks for doing my homework for me :-)

I've changed preferences on the test box accordingly.

Cheers

NOTE: new update available for Debian Buttons
(New button for querying Debian Developer Package):-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/debian-buttons/