Re: lcdproc missing driver imonlcd in squeeze

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 23:05:07 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> On 30/01/12 22:50, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> <snipped>
>

>> If I understand the idea behind backports correct wouldn't it be useful
>> to have this package in there too?
>
> The idea with backports (usually) is to make a package from a newer
> release, that requires libraries not available in an older release, work
> with the libraries available in the older release.
>
> In this case it's not necessary, and would be redundant (because it's
> not necessary) ;-)

Aha, so in this case the new lcdproc version and it's dependencies work
with the libraries from squeeze and that's why there's no need to have it
in the backports?
I thought it would just be to allow stupid users like me to use newer
packages :-)
But the longer I use Debian the longer I get the idea that there aren't
any stupid users supposed to use Debian at all ;-)
Don't get me wrong: I like to learn new things!

On the other hand I think it's more like a workaround and not a proper
solution because I don't receive any updates on the packages from testing
which I would when it were in backports?

Thanks again
Ramon