Re: how to get gdm3 greeter to display menu of hosts for remote login via xdmcp

On 30/01/12 17:01, Rick Thomas wrote:

> How do I get the gnome3 greeter to give me a menu of hosts on the local
> network who are willing to accept an xdmcp login?
>
> On my "squeeze" machines running gdm, at the login screen there is a
> drop-down called "Actions" that has one option called "Remote login via
> xdmcp".  When I choose that option, I get a list of hosts on the local
> network who are willing to accept logins via xdmcp.
>
> But on my "wheeze" machine, first of all there's no "Actions" drop down
> at all, and I can't find any other way to get the list of xdmcp
> accepting hosts.
>
> Does anyone know what magic I'm missing?  Is there something I can put
> into one of the files in /etc/gdm3/ that will enable the remote host
> chooser?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Rick

I'm not familiar with GNOME, there are no listed bugs - perhaps these
will be useful:-
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/procedure.html
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO.html

You could also try the upstream GNOME docs.

Cheers

NOTE: new update available for Debian Buttons
(New button for querying Debian Developer Package):-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/debian-buttons/