Re: debian losing usb detection after guest OS sees a USB device in virtualbox

On 30/01/12 01:42, H.S. wrote:
> On 29/01/12 01:14 AM, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> Scott Ferguson wrote:
>>>
>>> I would be useful for others if you post your success at getting NM to
>>> ignore a device here.
>>
>> Agreed!
>>
>> Previously:
>>
>> This leads me to believe the device name being assigned to the device
>> is "usb0".  Try this in /etc/network/interfaces:
>>
>>   iface usb0 inet manual
>>
>> That line should tell ifupdown that the configuration is manual.  And
>> since it is a configuration for ifupdown that tells NetworkManager to
>> leave it alone.  I am pretty sure that will work.
>
> That did help a little. Inserted that line in 'interfaces' file,
> restarted networking and network-manager and now Tomtom is not tried as
> a network device.
>
> However, it is still grayed out in virtualbox and the VM doesn't see it
> as attached at all. Same behavior whether I have a filter for it in VB's
> USB devices filters section.

Any error messages or warnings in dmesg?
Does everything look as it should in:-
$ mount

Clear the VirtualBox log, reset all warnings, then retry. Then post the
log to paste.debian.net and post a link here.

> BTW, I have, since yesterday, virtualization enabled on my machine (amd
> machine, it is called AMD-V in it?). Is this necessary?

I'm not sure what you mean by "virtualization enabled".

Cheers

NOTE: new update available for Debian Buttons
(New button for querying Debian Developer Package):-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/debian-buttons/