Re: Accented Characters - How to type from standard keyboard?

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 07:39:22PM -0500, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 03:40:51PM -0500, doug wrote:
> > On 01/28/2012 02:40 PM, Michael Lange wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >Thus spoketh "Thomas H. George"<lists@tomgeorge.info>
> > >unto us on Sat, 28 Jan 2012 11:19:09 -0500:
> > >
> > /snip/
>
> > >You can set up a compose key; here I have added
> > >
> > >     Option         "XkbOptions" "compose:Super_R"
> > >
> > >to the Keyboard section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and now I can use the right
> > >one of the "Windows" keys as compose key, most of the default key
> > >combinations are quite intuitive, for example if I press the ComposeKey
> > >followed by an "a" and an apostrophe I get á , or an "o" followed by a
> > >slash gives ø and so on.
> > .snip/
> > >
> > >You can even setup custom key combinations in case you can locate the
> > >correct file for that; here I have a file ~/.XCompose, but changes to
> > >this file are ignored by gtk apps , and xterm and friends seem to be
> > >unable to handle certain characters.
>
> Why not just use a US Intl with deadkeys keyboard layout?
> I use it (I type in four languages, comes in very handy:
> ñ é à ô ü þ ð µ ç etc., all very easy to type).
>
> ./tony

What is the deadkeys keyboard layout and how do I install/use it?

Incidently, none of the other proposed solutions work.  There is no
xorg.conf any more or at least it is no longer needed.  Wild cards did
not work with mv - well perhaps they do but I was trying to use
directory completion as the directory in question was extremely long and
that didn't work.

I solved the original problem by moving the other entries and deleting
the directory that contained the offending sub directory.

For future use I would like to be able to enter special characters and
symbols from a standard keyboard when working with a terminal.  There is
no problem in writing an email.  For that I use the iceape suite which
allows the insertion of special characters and symbols selected from a
table.  The problem comes up in situations like working with a terminal
entering tags for ogg files.

In theory what I want is to use the console_codes ^N and ^O to shift
between to font sets, ESC ) N to load a user defined font in G1 and
mapscrn or setfont to make the user defined font start with the
characters from 128 to 255.  In practice I can't make any of these
commands work.
--
Tom