Re: Accented Characters - How to type from standard keyboard?

On 2012-01-28, Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de> wrote:

>> Ripit created a directory name which starts with an accented character.
>> I want to rename the directory.  With xlsfonts, xfontsel and xfd I have
>> found a font set which contains the character but have not figured out
>> how to use it from a standard US keyboard.  Is there an easy way to do
>> this?
>>

> You can set up a compose key; here I have added
>
>     Option         "XkbOptions" "compose:Super_R"
>
> to the Keyboard section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and now I can use the right

Or he could just right-click on the directory in just about any file
browser known to man and rename it. Or simply use globbing (is that the
correct term?):

édirectory

mv *directory adirectory

Maybe the problem space is ill-defined, but if it is what it appears to
be, this whole thread seems silly in a very usenetty way, i.e., a
senseless and brutal buggery of a fictional gnat.

Or am I missing something?