Re: Network issues with lan and wifi

Re-posting to the list.

I'm presuming you accidentally posted this to me instead of the list.

By rights I should seek your permission before doing this...
Point 11:-
http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct

On 29/01/12 10:40, Guido Martínez wrote:
> Stable v6.0.3, amd64, linux.
> The connection works intermittently, at really slow speeds. Maybe a 30
> kb/s transfer (through the local network, which is 150mbps).
> I used the first installation CD and chose to install the default
> graphical environment.

Thanks.

That means you're running a GNOME desktop and tells us what applications
you have available.

> I built my PC, I can give you full specs of it, maybe a hardinfo report?

Not necessary at this point, though the motherboard model might be
instructive.

I asked because some OEM PC/laptop/netbooks have modified chipsets - so
the standard techniques for supporting some devices don't apply.

> My wireless card is a TP-LINK TL-WN951N.

Thanks.
That's an Atheros chipset, and it uses the ath9k driver, is known to
fail during the install, but should work once you've got the box setup
(see Bob's post for more info), as far as I know the IEEE 802.11n
protocol support is still buggy - but the backported kernel may support
it better (the manufacturer also provides a driver).

> The access point is a TP-LINK TD-W8960N. The MAC address of the wifi
> card always gets 192.168.1.100 as IP.

As you don't mention having set a static address during the install I
presume that's a dynamic address.

> The wireless network has WPA2 security.

See Bob's comments on that.

> But, just to be clear, I did not try to connect to the network, since
> I didn't know how without a network manager. The problem appeared
> while using only lan. Maybe it was trying to send some data across the
> wifi card?
>
> I'm not at my pc right now. Later I'll post more info such as dmesg,
> lspci, ifconfig and a hardinfo report.

ifconfig and, as Brian has asked, the contents of
/etc/network/interfaces please.

> Thanks!
<snipped>

Please don't top post - it makes it harder to read and reply to your
posts, and easier to miss important information. Particularly with
screen readers.

I note that you've taken the trouble to send plain text from gmail, and
I thank you for it.

Cheers

NOTE: new update available for Debian Buttons
(New button for querying Debian Developer Package):-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/debian-buttons/