Re: ALSA instead of pulseaudio on new sid

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:32:34 +0100, Raven wrote:

> Hi guys.
> I have a fairly new install of sid with the new fancy gnome3 and all the
> eye-candy tweaks. I don't really like it, but that's another story..
>
> Anyway, before reinstalling sid I used to have the sound coming from
> ALSA..it was working great. Mic worked, SPDIF worked and I had real
> control over the volume level.
> Now I'm running pulseaudio. Which sucks! Digital out is mute, sound
> level seems to be reduced by 60-70% and I haven't even started trying to
> configure it for HDMI.
> I would really want to go back to ALSA, but I'm kind of afraid that it
> might break my install. I tried following some ubuntu howtos but I
> always end up with aptitude wanting to remove gnome-desktop-environment.
> Does any one have experience on how to go about for replacing
> pulseaudio? Or maybe some tips?

ALSA is not an alternative to PulseAudio; PA sits *on top of* ALSA and
directs traffic. By default you probably have both installed, which is as
it should be.

When PA was first released, it was a bit awkward to deal with, as Lennart
Poettering's stuff tends to be. Hence there were many wails and howtos on
removing PA, which can easily be found by Googling.

But PA is fine now. Perhaps the fine ALSA and PA manuals will help.