Re: Music software

On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 07:54 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 24/01/12 21:25, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> > Morning,
> >
> > I'm running Mepis which is a squeeze spinoff.  I have started taking music
> > lessons.  My instructor plays a tune and I record it.  I want to then play it
> > back slowed down, without changing the pitch of the notes so that I can "play
> > along."  Tried audacity (1.3.12), but it lowers the pitch of the notes when I
> > slow the music down.
>

> Were you using the Change Speed Effect or Reduce Play-at-speed[*1]
> (slider with Green Play button)?
>
> Audacity crashes (Squeeze) if you reduce the speed[*1] more than approx
> 0.29X - but you're not going to want to play slower than 0.7x.
>

> Cheers

You need a time-stretching tool http://breakfastquay.com/rubberband/ :
"Rubber Band Library is in use in [snip] open-source applications
including Ardour digital audio workstation, the SooperLooper live
looping sampler, the StretchPlayer audio player and the QTractor
sequencer. You can also find it in Breakfast Quay's own Rubber Band
Audio Processor.

Hth,

Ralf