Re: xfs backup system vs rsynce

On 23/01/12 14:27, Nicolas Bercher wrote:

Take care with --remove-older-than option, as the man page says:

"Note that snapshots of deleted files are covered by this operation.
Thus if you deleted a file two weeks ago, backed up immediately after‐
wards, and then ran rdiff-backup with --remove-older-than 10D today, no
trace of that file would remain."

This is an inevitable consequence of any backup system that backs up to
somewhere with a limited amount of space. The alternative is to only grow in size.

You can loose valuable old files. So, one thing I really miss in
rdiff-backup is an option to remove backups older than <a point in time>
AND newer than <another point in time>. Thus, I could reduce daily
backups to weekly, etc. But still, I can loose files.

In a near future, I think I'll switch to venti(1) and/or vbackup(8) of
"Plan 9 port":

Take a look at bup in Debian, which doesn't remove old increments, but stores the backup files in a git-formatted archive (so chunked and de-duplicated, with sliding window compression and other such magic)

--
Jon Dowland