Re: squeeze on a Dell Latitude D620

On Jan 22, 2012, at 4:02 PM, Brian wrote:

> Are you sure the ethernet card is a Broadcom 4311?

Pretty sure. I haven't taken it apart to look at the chip, but

No, I'm not. lspci says it is a "Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5752". I don't know where I got the idea it was a 4311, but I swear that's what lspci said yesterday. The Dell BIOS was just kidding?

And the squeeze installer said I didn't have the pieces I needed -- it said something about my needing b43/ucode5.fw things. Maybe that's why they didn't work?

Oh! There it is. A BCM4311 is a WiFi card! I wonder why the Debian installer complained about 4311 when it was looking to set up eth0 (IIRC).

[OT] I'm recovering from a bad bicycle accident (brain injury) a year and a half ago. After a few weeks, I got back the passwords to my servers. After 6 months, I found I could write (trivial) shell scripts again. And I put squeeze on a Dell server back in September (still not completed).

And as you can see, I still have some recovery to do.

Be very careful with your brains, folks -- that's about the only thing needed by a computer geek. And stay off bicycles -- get a recumbent trike. Not as cool, not as cheap, not as fast; but it won't toss your head into a pile of rocks and put you in the hospital and rehab for 6 months...

--
Glenn English