Re: Cusp finally working BUT something missing

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:24:17 -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:

> I have not been able to use cups on any of my Debian boxes since
> upgrading to MB's without parallel port connectors for over a year,
> until now.  I was finally able to use my USB-> parallel adapter to
> connect to the HP Printer.
>
> I can now print but am missing features that used to be there before, or
> I have missed something.
>
> When printing with iceweasel the printer options no longer have a 'Print
> Selected' box.  The File/Page Setup no longer has the setting for
> headers or footers.   Am I missing package or has printing gone
> backwards? I am used to upgrading to 'better' features so maybe I am
> spoiled.

I have that setting available under Firefox's menu → Print... → Print...
→ Options tab. It is indeed an option available for every printer I have
setup (either virtual PDF printers, HP laserjet printers, Ricoh
copier...).

But I'm using GNOME and this can be make a difference. What DE/WM are you
using?

> One more "feature' I notice is that I have to unplug, then re-plugn the
> USB-> parallel nearly every time I print a document or cups can't find
> the printer.  That is a real PITA!

Sure it is.

Read CUPS logs and also dmesg/syslog to find out more information about
the USB disconnects (if CUPS can't detect the printer I guess is because
the USB port resets, right?).

What's the status of the printer under CUPS web interface?

Have you configured the printer using CUPS's web interface or using the
hp-setup utility?

> I hope I alone have these problems and that someone can clue me in on
> where I have gone wrong with my setup.

Nobody has replied, so maybe yes, you're alone (just kidding) ;-P

> PS:  The header/footer problem has been reported on and of since 2008
> but not lately as far as I could find.

I've never had problems with Firefox/Iceweasel regarding that options,
have been always there :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón