Cusp finally working BUT something missing

I have not been able to use cups on any of my Debian boxes
since upgrading to MB's without parallel port connectors for
over a year, until now.  I was finally able to use my USB-> parallel
adapter to connect to the HP Printer.

I can now print but am missing features that used to be there before, or I have missed something.

When printing with iceweasel the printer options no longer have a
'Print Selected' box. The File/Page Setup no longer has the setting for headers or footers. Am I missing package or has printing gone
backwards? I am used to upgrading to 'better' features so maybe I am
spoiled.

One more "feature' I notice is that I have to unplug, then re-plugn the USB-> parallel nearly every time I print a document or cups can't find the printer. That is a real PITA!

I hope I alone have these problems and that someone can clue me in on where I have gone wrong with my setup.

PS: The header/footer problem has been reported on and of since 2008 but not lately as far as I could find.

TIA for any pointers...

Wayne