Re: Dual monitor problem.

Magicloud Magiclouds, 19.01.2012:
> Hi,
>   I have this Lenovo E46G laptop, which works well with windows 7.
>   Now I installed Debian Sid (xorg + gnome 3 desktop). Everything
> seemed fine except external monitor.
>   When I plugged in the vga connector, after 1 or 2 secs, the  system
> recognized the monitor and extended my desktop to it. The resolution
> and flash rate were correct. But the display seemed like, all pixels
> were shaking.
>   So now the chars on the screen are just moving left and right quickly.
>   How to resolve this?

When gnome 3 first appeared in sid, I noticed that plugging in my
external monitor to the laptop didn't work automagically, as it had done
in gnome 2.  In particular, I remember wrong resolution and/or
fuzziness/shakiness like you report.

What worked for me then was to fix my setup in a few steps instead
of one step.  What I mean is that I chose a worse resolution first,
and confirmed that change when asked.  Then as a second step I chose the
desired setup and confirmed that.  I don't have the external monitor now
so I can't test this again for you, but something like this worked for
me.  Play around with various settings, and confirm them even if they
don't work well.  You can also try disabling and re-enabling the laptop
screen, maybe with different resolutions.  (I was actually using only
the external screen most of the time.)  Eventually you can go back to
what you really want and hopefully have it work properly.