Re: Re: POP3 in Debian

On Mi, 18 ian 12, 19:16:03, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> *	From: Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
> *	Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 00:06:16 +0200
> > Try having a look at your mail via some other
> > means (webmail or so) to see if there is something that might create
> > problems.
>
> Web access shows nothing unusual.  Messages have come
> to the I.S.P. mailbox since the problem with POP appeared
> and I've deleted messages, including the oldest, via the Web.
> So newest and oldest messages have changed.  Assuming
> message 1 is the newest or oldest, POP can't be stumbling
> on one specific message.  I can empty the mailbox with the
> Web interface and see the result.

Sorry, no other ideas.

> > For automatic retrieval I have been using getmail for a long time.
>
> Do you have Exim still?

I do have postfix, but only for sending mails. The recommended getmail
setup does not involve any sendmail clone (unlike fetchmail)[1]. You may
want to use an MDA (mail delivery agent), since getmail's built-in
sorting is limited. The author believes in The Unix Way (tm) - do one
thing and do it well ;)

[1] re-injecting received mails in a SMTP daemon can lead to strange
results if you are not careful.

Kind regards,
Andrei