Re: how to download the packages in Debian testing non-free before installing?

On 19/01/12 12:19, lee wrote:
> Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
>> Ignore that noise - I heard installation as installation of packages
>> *not* installation of the OS.
>
> Oh, ok :)
>
>> Why you'd want to do instead of building from a netinstall CD (with any
>> required firmware packages) is another question. However:-
>>
>> You 'could' use apt-zip[*1] or the "apt-get -d" with a live CD and then:-
>> # cp /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb somewhere_convenient.
>>
>> Reverse that process after installation of the base packages.
>>

>> [*1] http://wiki.debian.org/AptZip
>
> Well, this laptop has two harddrives out of which I´ll make a software
> RAID-1. Last time I checked, installing and booting from a RAID was only
> possible by using LVM (and md), and the d/i of Testing was able to do
> that pretty easily for me. I just want something that works the way I
> need it to, without having to do trial and error and having to put
> Windoze back on the laptop to be able to burn more CDs or DVDs and then
> making another try.
>
> Some things built into this laptop might never work and it won´t really
> matter (like I really don´t need a fingerprint scanner ...), but if I
> can´t get the wireless card to work, I´m screwed.

You can try testing with a Debian Live CD/USB first.

These are sometimes useful for checking whether the path is well trodden
(look for you laptop there - or ask here on the list):-
http://www.linux-laptop.net/
http://tuxmobil.org/

Cheers