Re: how to download the packages in Debian testing non-free before installing?

On Wed 18 Jan 2012 at 22:03:22 +0000, lee wrote:

> Hm, what´s the point in having the firmware only and not the software to
> get the wireless card to work? Apparently, I need software from the
> non-free section which isn´t included on the DVDs, so having the
> firmware only get´s me no more than like half the way.

Please have a closer read of

   http://wiki.debian.org/iwlagn

where it says

   iwlagn is a module produced by the iwlwifi Linux kernel driver, ....

The module is the only software you need. It is free software. The
firmware, on the other hand, isn't. Both together get you all the way
there.

> Wheezy is Testing, afair? I want to install Testing anyway: Will that
> work with the D/I from testing when I have the firmware ready, or will
> there still be software (from non-free) missing needed to make a
> wireless connection?

Early in the install (detecting network hardware) you should be informed
about missing non-free firmware and asked to supply it. d-i is set up to
look for it on a USB stick.