Re: how to download the packages in Debian testing non-free before installing?

On 2012-01-18 20:58 +0100, lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how do I download the packages in the non-free section and make them
> useable by the Debian installer before starting the installation?

Download any needed packages on another computer and put them on a USB
stick that you plug in when you install Debian.  See
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s04.html.

> The problem is installing Debian on a laptop with wireless only. So I
> need to dowload all the DVDs before starting the installation,

No, you don't.  The first DVD (or CD) should be sufficient.

> and
> still the software needed to get the wirless card (Intel Centrino
> Wireless-N
> 1030) working is in the non-free section which won´t be on the DVDs[1].
>
> There seem to be (unofficial) CD-images with the firmware on
> them[2]. Are these the right ones to get? What might be the best way
> to go about this?

On [2] you only find the firmware which you have to put on a USB stick.
There are also netinst CD images which already include the firmware
under
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/,
those also have the minimally necessary packages for setting up WiFi, in
particular wpasupplicant.

The Squeeze installer itself does not support WPA, but the Wheezy
installer does.

Sven