X backingstore no longer working

Some of my own software requires Xorg backingstore to be working so as to redraw windows when they're hidden and then exposed again. This has worked fine for years but some time in the past few months it stopped working. It may have stopped working when I upgraded from Lenny to Squeeze last April. I use 'startx -- +bs' and I have also added 'Option "BackingStore"' in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. In /var/log/Xorg.0.log it says "Backing store enabled", but when my programme's window is re-exposed it comes up black.

In searching for information, I found a vague statement suggesting that something about backing store may have changed recently in X11, but there were no details. Does anyone know anything about such a change? Perhaps I should find an X11 list for this question, but I thought I'd ask here first since it may be related to my upgrade to Squeeze.

Thanks.

- Robert