Re: issue with mdadm and mirroring drives

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 13:38 -0500, Joey L wrote:
> thanks for the reply -
>
> 1. my issue is that i am not getting to the grub menu on the good
> disk, it always goes to the bad one.
> I think it puts me in a intrdfsram prompt or something similar - even
> if i change the bios settings.
> - so editing the grub menu option - is unavailable for me.
>
> 2. regarding the procedure after grub - you wrote:
>
> grub-install --recheck --no-floppy /dev/sda
>
> repeat for "/dev/sdb", or use "hd0" and "hd1" which is grub traditional
> notation for first and second drives.
>
> my drives are /dev/sda and my boot partition is /dev/sda1
>
> what do i type in that scenerio after i am able to create the mirror
> back to the way it was.
>
> thanks
> mjh
<snip>
That's strange that your BIOS won't let you select the primary drive.  I
suppose it is possible that the drives are jumpered to master and slave.
One could also try physically reversing the drives to see if perhaps the
bus scan order is the determining factor.  I'm just guessing as I am
certainly not an expert in this area - John