Re: OT: cannot copy text from matlab to putty

Scott Ferguson wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > But Followup-To is a news header not a mail header.
>
> Yes.
>
> > Why would a mail client react to it at all?  It is not normal for it
> >  to be there at all for an email message.  It really should only be
> > there on a news message.
>
> Yes. Hence the request to stop sending it.

I can't disagree with that type of argument.  Followup-To isn't a mail
header and so shouldn't be in a mail message.  I can get behind that
reasoning.  It was the reasoning that it created a CC that I was
objecting to, without being explicit enough to say it that way.

> > Sure there is a lot of crossover but news is not mail and mail is not
> > news.  I would hope that a news2mail gateway would strip that out.
> > But being there doesn't seem like it should cause serious problem
> > either.
>
> If *you're* happy to clean up other people's posts *and* pay for the
> news subscription - then it's not a problem for you.

I didn't have to clean up the post.  I tested a followup to it and
everything worked fine for me using 'mutt'.  But I didn't say that.
Everyone who uses 'mutt' always says that everything works fine for
them.  So I decided not to say that this time.  But if I were
following up using mutt it would not have created a bogus CC from the
message.

> > Followup-To != Mail-Followup-To.
>
> Yes.
>
> > If it were Mail-Followup-To, a defacto mail standard, then your mail
> > client should react to it.  But not Followup-To.
>
> No - you're not allowing for MUAs that also deal with news.

It is great for the user to have the same client deal with both mail
and news.  But then the client software should be smart enough to
actually deal with both.  The issues are not identical between them.

> (there are more MUAs out there than just Mutt)

And very annoying that is too.  :-)

> *If* a mail client is incapable of handling news *then* the mail client
> would/should ignore it.

No.  If a mail client is handling mail then it should ignore it.  Just
being capable of handling news too is not a reasonable excuse.

> > It sounds like this is a bug in your Enigmail client if it is
> > reacting badly to it being there.
>
> It has nothing do with PGP. My Enigmail client is not reacting to it at
> all (because it doesn't involve PGP).

My bad.  I saw Enigmail in your mail header (as you saw mutt in mine)
and so assumed it was your mail user agent.  Please substitute in the
name of your mail user agent instead.

> It's because the OP had inadvertently put a news Followup into his post
> to gmane (using Knode - which *is* a newsreader) - and it was then
> relayed through to the list as email and reposted to subscribers.
> Read a little further in the thread and it should become clear.

I had actually read the entire thread.  But having a spurious
Followup-To header should send a mail client into the weeds.  I agree
it is spurious.  But so is a mail client deciding to do something with
it.  *Both* are wrong.

Bob