Re: suspend / power off

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 08:53:53AM +0000, richard wrote:
> You didn't quite understand what I was asking :(
> If you suspend to RAM, S3, which I hope unmounts the hard drives.
> as suspend is set to power off the computer, does it really matter is running
> daemons and services are terminated by removing power ?

On a desktop computer, suspending does exactly the same thing as on a laptop:
the filesystems are synced (but not unmounted); processes (including daemons
and services) are frozen (but not terminated); the machine is powered *down*
(but not off - the mainboard and RAM are kept alive, and perhaps other bits and
pieces too depending on your setup, such as NICs).

--
Jon Dowland