Re: grub-pc mdadm root

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Marc Auslander <marcausl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Can you unpack your initrd and check whether you have an "mdadm"
>> script in the "scripts" directory, an mdadm rule in the "udev"
>> directory, and an "/etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf"? (I can't access a Debian
>> box at the moment or I would've given you exact paths to the first
>> two; sorry.)
>
> I looked in initrd.  There is both an mdadm script and my kludge
> script in local-top.  There is an mdadm.conf.
>
> There is no udev or dev in the archive at all.
>
> I think one problem is that /conf/conf.d/md in initrd has
>
> MD_DEVS=none
>
> but where does that come from?

Both "MD_DEVS=none" and the non-existence
"/lib/udev/rules.d/64-md-raid-rules" in your initrd are from
"/usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/mdadm" which sources
"/etc/default/mdadm" - in which you have non-default values.

Rather than stay with your manual addition of a script to your initrd,
I'd adjust the values in "/etc/default/mdadm" and regenerate the
initrd. If you don't, the next time that it's regenerated, you'll
eventually reboot into an initramfs shell.