Re: problem mounting iso9660 dvds

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 22:50:59 +0100, Lars Callenbach wrote:

> last December I have burned some backup DVDs on my box with growisofs.
> It was possible to read the content (also under windows, other Linux
> installations, ...). This week I tried to make another backup. Growisofs
> complains with some error messages (with the hint to an unformatted
> medium) and it is not possible to mount my old iso images. At the moment
> BOTH dvd burners do not work (do not read iso images).A first try to
> mount the medium fails with a busy device error message, further
> attempts raises the error message of bad superblock (mount -t iso9660
> /dev/sr1 /mountpoint). These iso images can be read on other computers.

(...)

I would first try the most obvious: attach a different optical unit to
your system (either USB or internal. Yup, I know it's annoying but...)
and try to load the dvd disc from there. This way you will discard a
problem within your dvd unit.

I wish one day optical devices become something of the past... even
floppies have been proven to be more reliable than this laser thingy :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón