Re: malware infesting windows part of dual-boot

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 19:40:56 +0000, Brian wrote in message
<[🔎] 20120113194056.GE2926@desktop>:

> On Fri 13 Jan 2012 at 13:04:16 -0600, Charles Blair wrote:
>
> >    I have the lenny release of debian and windows XP as a dual-
> > boot using grub 0.97.  The debian system (of course) seems to
> > be working fine, but I've gotten some malware (of course) on
> > the windows side.
> >
> >     Can somebody recommend software (preferably free) that
> > will deal with the bad windows stuff without trashing the
> > linux system?  I'm concerned that running standard-issue
> > diagnostic and treatment stuff will tamper with the boot
> > sector, among other things.
>
> Debian, as you acknowledge, is a malware free zone. If something nasty
> is affecting another OS you are better off dealing with it within that
> OS.

..really???  Like Obama, I have 2 words for you,
mine may be a little harsher: Track records. ;o)

> If the treatment affects the MBR you can complain to the software
> provider. Anyway, Debian has ways of restoring your MBR to good
> health.

..try 'man -k grub' for a list of ideas, then e.g.
'man grub-mkrescue'.

..if you lack that, e.g. 'apt-cache search grub-mkrescue' will
list a few install suggestions worth an 'apt-cache show $item'.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: