Re: Grub cannot fit into boot record

On Saturday 14 January 2012 11:06:33 Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On my desktop, which is running Squeeze, I tried to upgrade some
> packages to their Wheezy version. I have now reverted the upgrade, but I
> am alarmed.
>
> One of the packages was grub2 which was at version
> 1.98+20100804-14+squeeze1 and was upgraded to 1.99-14.
>
> To cut a long story short, I ended with an unbootable system. Grub
> refused to install on the MBR. I do not remember the message exactly,
> but it mentioned that the record was unusually short, and core.img could
> not fit into it. Then it told me that the only option was to use
> blocklists but that was discouraged as unreliable.
>
> What am I going to do when Wheezy becomes stable. This is a new computer.

I dont understand what you are saiing. From wikipedia here is the definition of
mbr:
A master boot record (MBR) is a type of boot sector popularized by the IBM
Personal Computer.[1] It consists of a sequence of 512 bytes located at the
first sector of a data storage device such as a hard disk. MBRs are usually
placed on storage devices intended for use with IBM PC-compatible systems

So no wonder you can't put grub on 512 bytes. I would try, usind an install iso,
to chroot into your system and reinstall grub.
Thierry