Grub cannot fit into boot record

Hi,

On my desktop, which is running Squeeze, I tried to upgrade some
packages to their Wheezy version. I have now reverted the upgrade, but I
am alarmed.

One of the packages was grub2 which was at version
1.98+20100804-14+squeeze1 and was upgraded to 1.99-14.

To cut a long story short, I ended with an unbootable system. Grub
refused to install on the MBR. I do not remember the message exactly,
but it mentioned that the record was unusually short, and core.img could
not fit into it. Then it told me that the only option was to use
blocklists but that was discouraged as unreliable.

What am I going to do when Wheezy becomes stable. This is a new computer.

--
Best regards,
    Panayiotis Karabassis