Re: Stripping down Debian Squeeze

HI,

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 04:56:09PM +0530, Bijoy Lobo wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am currently Debian Squeeze for a UTM ( Squid3+Snort+OpenVPN+iptables). I
> would like to strip down the OS for better performance of the UTM. It would
> be acting as a gateway to my network so if there is any software within the
> OS which i can uninstall for better performance would certainly help me.

For such system, all desktop application should go.  More for security
and space than performance.

You can remove almost everything but base system as long as you keep
dependency of these programs and required kernel modules for your
hardware.  Oh, keeping aptitude and vim will help your productivity.

This is something you do not get quick short answer... try and learn
yourself using tools such as aptitude.

Osamu