Re: editing pdf files

On Fri, 2012-01-13 at 21:50 +0000, richard wrote:
> Greetings,
>

> Is there any free app which can edit pdf files.
> Evince looks like it does it, you can edit, send it as an attachment and read
> it with another copy of evince and you can see the alterations.
> Open it on a poxy winblos machine with acrobat or acroread, and the edited
> sections are as the original.
> xpdf also shows the original before editing..
> help ????
>
> TIA
>
> Richard

This is a real hole in the Linux desktop environment.  There are no good
options.  Here are the ones of which I know:

1) OpenOffice PDF plugin - probably the best potential but it still
sometimes chokes on some PDFs or mangles the formatting badly.

2) Xournal - good and simple if you only want to add text but nothing
beyond that.

3) GIMP - extremely powerful and consequently complicated and it can
only edit a page at a time.

4) Inkscape or Scribus - powerful and consequently complicated, can only
edit a page at a time (not sure about that for Scribus), crashes
frequently and sometimes completely chokes on the PDF.

5) pdfeditor - potentially the most powerful of the options but still
limited, difficult to use, and immature.

I sure wish it was different as this is a major problem for us.  I'd be
absolutely delighted if I was wrong about this - John