problem mounting iso9660 dvds

Hello,

last December I have burned some backup DVDs on my box with growisofs.
It was possible to read the content (also under windows, other Linux
installations, ...). This week I tried to make another backup. Growisofs
complains with some error messages (with the hint to an unformatted medium)
and it is not possible to mount my old iso images. At the moment BOTH dvd
burners do not work (do not read iso images).A first try to mount the medium fails
with a busy device error message, further attempts raises the error message
of bad superblock (mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr1 /mountpoint). These
iso images can be read on other computers.

Using another Linux laptop I have burned a netinstall iso image on a dvd. This image will be read on my server at boot time, i.e. the dvd reader
seems to work without running Linux (right conclusion?).

I have compared the binary code of mount/libc and other related libraries
with fresh downloaded binaries from debian packages using cmp - no
difference!

Hints/ideas for tests/solution appreciated!

Regards,
   Lars

configuration:  amd64/squeeze with latest software (daily updates)
current kernel: 3.2 (it is not a kernel problem - I have tried older
versions from December and before)