Re: pure debian testing or a distro based on debian testing

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 15:11:58 +0530
Amrish Purohit <amrish.distro@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Osamu,
>Thanks for your reply. I will definitely try installing testing over
>stable version. I make my system dual boot so I have a backup. Here is
>the way I install the debian, please correct me if I am wrong.
>I install the core system, then I install gdm3 and gnome-terminal to get
>the GUI. After getting the GUI I install the packages as I need it. So I
>plan to do the same with testing. First I will install core system +
>gdm3 of stable debian, after getting the gui, I will change the
>repositories in /etc/apt/sourcelist and make dist upgrade. I hope this
>will work.
>Please comment if any thing is wrong.

Two points:

- Wouldn't it be better to change the source.list to debian testing straight
after installation? That way you will not need to download Gnome packages from
stable, saving bandwidth and time.

- If you want Gnome, it is probably better to use tasksel[1], so that all the
Gnome-related goodies are installed and configured. Installing just login
manager and terminal application will only bring in minimal necessary
dependencies, giving you a rather poor GUI experience - you might as well stay
in text console.

1. http://wiki.debian.org/Gnome#task

Regards,
--