Re: malware infesting windows part of dual-boot

On Fri 13 Jan 2012 at 13:04:16 -0600, Charles Blair wrote:

>    I have the lenny release of debian and windows XP as a dual-
> boot using grub 0.97.  The debian system (of course) seems to
> be working fine, but I've gotten some malware (of course) on
> the windows side.
>
>     Can somebody recommend software (preferably free) that
> will deal with the bad windows stuff without trashing the
> linux system?  I'm concerned that running standard-issue
> diagnostic and treatment stuff will tamper with the boot
> sector, among other things.

Debian, as you acknowledge, is a malware free zone. If something nasty
is affecting another OS you are better off dealing with it within that
OS. If the treatment affects the MBR you can complain to the software
provider. Anyway, Debian has ways of restoring your MBR to good health.