Setting keyboard layout (and variant?) [was: Re: Keyboard layout detection]

On Vi, 13 ian 12, 12:45:19, Panayiotis wrote:
> Thanks to all again!
>
> You've solved this for me, it's a GB layout indeed.
>
> Tony, can't you put it in /etc/rc.local or ~/.profile?

/etc/rc.local wouldn't work because X has to be started and ~/.profile
is not sourced by all display managers. But why is this an issue? Such
settings belong in /etc/default/keyboard (XKBLAYOUT and XKBVARIANT)
which can be adjusted nicely with:

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

Kind regards,
Andrei